Monday, January 27, 2014

winter: and my thoughts on it (and running in it).

date: wed jan 22
time: 12:30pm
distance: 4.5K
temp: -20*C

date: sat jan 25
time: 9:20am
distance: 5K
temp: -8*C
weather: snowing
(we received 6 inches of snow the previous night...and the roads were not plowed recently.  
that is how i felt running in the couple inches of snow on the roads)


i don't really care for winter as a whole.
i love the snow covered ground...
but, man, is it ever hard to get around when it never stops falling.

oh wait...
it does stop falling.
then i love the beautiful blue skies, with the sun reflecting off the white ground...
but, oh man, the bitter cold and wind that comes along with that.

so i love aspects of the season.
i dislike other aspects of the season.

i love snowshoeing...sledding...snowboarding...building snowmen, igloos, forts...
love campfires...the trees...the blue skies...the snowball fights...
love coming inside to hot chocolate...blankets...cuddles with my kids and husband.

it's the cold i have a hard time with.
when it's minus 20*C pre-windchill.

i don't hate it.
it has a beauty and a uniqueness to it that i can appreciate, but...
i could do without those temperatures, and quite thoroughly enjoy winter.

i think of my husband out welding at a dock, or working on a boathouse, with the wind off a lake 
and remember how it could be worse.
i think about the homeless... 
it could be worse.

i just don't like the cold.
i'm little.
i get cold easily, and take a long time to warm up.

and, yet, even when the temps have been quite cold these last couple weeks
(it's actually been snowing or freezing - never in between)
i get on my running clothes and shoes and head out.

i don't like running inside.

and, 
because of the beautiful sun that was shining on me for part of my run, 
i actually sweat a little today.

and i enjoyed it.

date: today.  (mon. jan 27)
time: 1:30pm
distance: 4K
temperature: -20*C
(my face is softened because of my breath.  yep, cold)


*all photos taken by me
with Gertie.
edited with Photoshop Elements.

end note:


last year i had my daughter home every day while her brother was in school. 
i couldn't run until my husband got home in the evenings.
i am so thankful for the chance to run mid-day, when the temps may be at their best, on the days my girl's also at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment