Monday, January 20, 2014

volunteering at my kids' school.

have i told you i'm volunteering at my kids' school?  
if i haven't told you..
well..
i am.

when the boy began junior kindergarten i was able to bring the girl with me to different things his class did.
she thought it was the greatest.
he asked me to, so i'm assuming he loved it too.

this year the girl began school.
i send her three days a week.
the boy is in grade one.

i know this amazing lady.
i met her when she was an amazing camp counselor.
we worked together at camp for a few years.
we became friends.
actually it's impossible not to love her and call her friend.

she adores kids.
she's a teacher.
she's currently the library teacher at my kids' school.

honestly...
if i were to think back to our days at camp i would have laughed had you said she'd be the library teacher at a school.
she's crazy, and i love her for it.
she wears her heart on her sleeve.
she loves each and every kid that comes through the doors to her library.

she called me up one day, asking if i'd like to volunteer to help her out in the library one day a week.
"ok"
that's right, no hesitation.  i didn't need to think about it.
i wanted to volunteer in the library.
at my kids' school.

i love books.
i love reading.
i love learning.
i love watching kids learn to love all of that too.
and most of all i love to be volunteering in the school that my kids go to.

on those days that i am in the library i am only there for half a day.
but...
the highlight?
my kids come at first nurtrition break and eat with me.
we spend some time together.
we eat.
they choose a book and i read to them.
then back to class they go.

i've been in when the girl's class has come in, and i've had the opportunity to assist.
since the new year i've now been there when the boy's class has come in, and been able to assist.

i used to be behind the counter, at the computer doing the circulation of the books.

now there's a lady who is coming in to do that and other administration things.

my volunteer position has been changed.
my focus is the bulletin boards 
*which usually became my priority anyway*
and assisting my friend as she teaches the classes, in whatever way she may need.

i love monday mornings.

i am getting to know the kids in the school
and a few of the teachers, and office staff.

we're beginning to work on a wall dedicated to getting to know the teachers and staff in the school.
i'm excited about that.
we put up an Winter Olympic themed bulletin board, 
and on my run this afternoon i had some more ideas for it.

i am so thankful for the call i received.
my mom volunteered when i was in grade school, 
in the library.
i remember looking forward to going into the library and seeing her.
i love that my kids feel the same.

and when i get home i can go for my Monday run.
(like my segway haha!)

***
it's getting colder again.
i did not really want to run on the weekend, but, 
i have a schedule and i'm not going to break it.

date: saturday Jan 18
time: 8:20am
distance: 4.5K
temperature: -5*C
running buddy: no one.


remind me not to bring the dog next time...
he's about 110LBS and excited...
i didn't want to run at the pace he wanted.
then when he finally slowed to a fast walk he wanted to sniff or attempt to pee at every snowbank.
i don't know if i was worn out from the cold, the speed, the pulling him away, or just because i had had a smoothie.

date: monday jan 20
time: 1:30pm
distance: 4K
temperature: -17*C
running buddy: Jack Jack 
i'm wearing my husband's toque with ear flaps.
i love it - he doesn't.
i will wear it if i want.


No comments:

Post a Comment