Thursday, November 22, 2012

School Days: SK Edition *3*

i have brought you along in my journey as a mom with a JK.. 
see parts 1 here, 2 here, 3 here, 4 here, 5 here...
and now i'm back to continue the journey with my little SK for part 3.
  click for part 1, 2.

although the story is mainly about my little boy
it is also about me.
i have shared my fears, 
my tears, 
my joys, all alongside his.

this entry is to now share with you my encouraged heart.
my relief.
my joy.

my son LOVES school.

he had great teachers last year.
he has great teachers this year.
i pray he'll have great teachers next year.. but lets not rush this year.

Wednesday i had the opportunity to go to his class for an observation.
in JK/SK there are no parent/teacher interviews so they do a class observation.
a time to see your kid in action, and to chat with the teacher about how he/she is doing..
and to ask any questions, discuss any concerns.

last year:
i was worried about going because i was scared of how he'd act when i left.
i arrived solo.  Dakota had a babysitter.
my boy's tears were on the edge the whole time.  
he stared at me constantly - when he was on carpet time.
he leaned against me while i sat beside him during journal time.
the tears began to come as his class left to go to the gym, and i headed home.

this year...
i was excited to go and interact.
i arrived with Dakota.
his teacher had invited her to join in the class while i was there.
he laughed when we arrived and Dakota found him and hugged him.
he showed me things.
he did activities, while i chatted with his teacher.
dakota joined Elijah in everything.
He sat beside me on the carpet.
he played with dakota and other kids while they did lego.
he showed me how to work and use the smartboard.
dakota had the chance to make a sheep with glue and cottonballs on cardboard - she was so excited.  
Elijah told me people's names, 
all about things on the walls.
where things were.
then he hugged me then lined up to go to gym...
then ran back and hugged dakota.

i chatted with his teacher.
she has been at the school for 25 years.
has taught JK/SK/gr 1.  
elijah talks about her all the time.
as if she's just one of the friends at school.
i have seen and spoken with her at the Terry Fox Run, at the grocery store, on main street...

She had nothing but praise for my little boy.
she was excited to show me some of the things he's done in class.
he is learning to recognize some words by sight.
he knows all his letters.
he is sounding out and spelling words from the sounds he hears.
he is cautious and focused when writing letters or coloring and drawing.

she loves to be animated.
she loves to speak in silly voices.
no wonder my kid loves her.

"He is a leader in the class.
a quiet leader.
whatever you're doing, 
keep doing it"

thank you.
*tear* 







1 comment:

  1. Shed a little tear of joy for you & Elijah as well. :)

    ReplyDelete