Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reality of Life and Loss

A friend of mine just lost his father on Dec 31 2011
The end of a year... the end of a precious, amazing life (here on earth).

People go into New Years Eve taking stock of their past year.
The amazing memories, the wise choices, but also the regrets.
A new year is coming so they look forward to making more memories and hopefully no regrets.

My hope for this coming year is to cherish my loved ones.
My friend's loss has reminded me how quickly and unexpected loss can happen.
i have been facing those thoughts over the past month as I have been facing the mortality of my own dad.

He has recently discovered he has cancer and as of January 2012 he will be undergoing both radiation and chemotherapy.  the reality of this has been hard to take.

Some losses come unexpectedly. 
accidents, heart attacks...
some losses may take years to happen.
illnesses, or natural causes...
but losses will happen. 

We don't know how long each of us has to spend on this earth.
I hope that any regrets that we have as we look back on the past year have nothing to do with showing love to those we care about. 
may the regrets we have be nothing about wishing we had spent more time with those we no longer can.. or never telling them how much we loved them. 

As 2011 ends and 2012 begins let's make sure we remember to love each moment of each day. 
forgive, love, cherish, hug, kiss, laugh, share, build memories that you'll enjoy remembering. 
i love my dad...he is one of the most special men in my life.
my friend loves his dad, and misses him like crazy.
but i know his dad knew he was loved by his son.

let's make sure to cherish the lives around us and not regret when they are lost.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Felix, please know that I will be praying for your dad. I know that he is so special to you, and I pray that God will be so near to you and your entire family during this time . Keep trusting Him, and know that His plans are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks wallass,
    you're the best.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete