Monday, February 8, 2016

mommy, who inspired you to snowboard?

there was fresh snow.
we were out back at our sled hill.
my girl and hubby were down at the bottom.

i was walking up the hill, carrying my ancient snowboard.
my son was sitting at the top putting his board back on so he could take another run down the hill.
we were chatting as i got closer.
i told him how i loved watching his sister ski and him board.
i informed him that i didn't learn to snowboard until i was about 21.
and that was after only downhill skiing a couple times in my life - which i hadn't really enjoyed.
i told him i loved that he was starting out young.
he asked me if i was a good snowboarder..good like him.
i laughed and told him i could stay up - most of the time.  i was good.

then he continued and asked me a question that has stuck with me since that moment.

"mommy, who inspired you to snowboard?"

i told him i couldn't pick anyone specific, but when i first saw the sport i loved it.  
i hadn't like skiing and it looked like skateboarding on snow.  
**i had always wanted to skateboard - but i'm chicken.  
i used to watch the guys (and girls) skate and always wanted to learn but didn't want to get hurt.  
i didn't want to fail. those were some thoughts that passed through my mind but didn't make it to words**

i told him i liked that my feet were together - unlike skiing.
and then i went to college and snowboarding was an activity encouraged and instructed a little and i loved it.
i told him that since i met daddy that he has inspired me to keep trying.

i asked him who inspires him to snowboard?
he shrugged.
i asked if his daddy does.
he smiled his big smile and nodded.  
then down the hill he went.


what a great question.

not just who inspires me to snowboard but, 
who inspires me?

i have actually been thinking about that question for a few weeks and his asking of it has given me the idea.

over the next little while i am going to write a few posts about people who have inspired me in some way or another.
some may be in crazy huge ways, 
others may be some small thing that has stuck with me, 
or some may be just about enjoying this silly thing called life.

i hope as you follow me on this journey it will bring to mind those people who have been an inspiration in your life.

So, as i begin i guess you can say that this post was about the one who inspired me to pursue these future entries.

MY BOY!
thanks kid.


i probably won't share about my husband or my dad - - 
i have told you many times how i've been inspired by them, but who knows where i'll go with this mini series.


*photo taken by me, 
with Gertie.

No comments:

Post a Comment