Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Petzl inspired me...

My boy asked me a great question and i wrote about it HERE.

since then i have been thinking long and hard about people who have inspired me.

i have been blessed with many people who have provided me with inspiration in my life and for each of them i am extremely thankful.  
therefore, i may not write about some.  
but their inspiration lives on in my life and is passed down into my kids' lives.

today though i am going to write about a crazy lady.
Sharon.
we met back in 1997.
She had finished her year at Summit College and we worked at Camp Widjiitiwin.
We were prayer partners for the summer.
lots of laughter, chats and yes, prayer too.

Her camp name was Petzl.
she did the rock climbing.

this is us at the end of the summer.

fast forward to 9 years ago.
we hadn't kept in touch the greatest but she was now married with a little boy and twin girls.
i was married, no kidlets yet.

her babies were a year old and she needed someone to watch her kids.  
she called me up and i went one day a week to hang with the girls while their brother was at school for Junior Kindergarten.

i adored each one of the kids.  
i remember her telling me how she had taken up running after the twins.
(she looked spectacular)

but that was all in passing.
soon after was pregnant with my boy.
i stopped hanging with her kids once my little one was born.

we went to the same church and saw each other now and again.

after my kids were born, and my husband encouraged me to run, i would think back to that very brief conversation about Sharon running.  

one day she sent my husband and i a message about a race we may be interested in.
  My husband loved the idea, i thought the distances were too far.

the next year dan ran the 56km.  
what an amazing trail to run on.  
*my husband inspires me to run.*

over the last couple years as you know, i've become a runner.  
running distances i never thought i'd ever run.
i have seen her at the band on the run held here in town.
and the fun runs in the spring.

we have encouraged each other as we both were training for races and runs.

i have enjoyed our chats and her encouragement.

when i was training for my 40km she was someone who i talked with a lot.  
we were both training and our runs were challenging.

i may never have run the limber lost challenge if she had never sent that email.
i LOVE that trail and am excited to run it again this July.

thanks Petzl for the encouragement and inspiration you have been for all these years.



*first photo taken by someone at Widji.
on a film camera back in '97.
photo in the blog taken of the photo by me with Chester.
2nd photo taken by K.V at '14 band on the run.
posted on Facebook.






No comments:

Post a Comment