Monday, July 18, 2016

Limberlost Challenge

this year i ran The Limberlost Challenge.

i ran the 14km.
it was fun.
i loved it.
i had to go through a big big big big big big big big big big mud pit.

i got muddy.

i finished my race.
dan ran the end with me.
i passed the finish line, i finished my race.  
i was so happy.
*as dictated by my girl*

*my turn to tell you how it was*
I had originally hoped to be in the top 10 of my age group this year.
but i did not train enough.
i went into this year with not having run more than the 10km i ran at Band on the Run one month before.
i was not prepared but i was planning to run it anyway.
i love the Limberlost Challenge.

my hubby made the decision to run the 56 one week before so we signed up.
(obviously even though i was planning to run it i was hesitant to sign up)

Dan hadn't been feeling the greatest and was planning to take it easy, and not push himself too much.
he was aiming for a 7 hour finish.

i was just wanting to cross the finish line, i didn't care how fast, although i will be honest, i wanted to break 2 hours. knowing that would be crazy hard.

the night before the race happened.
thunderstorms.
rain.
lots of both.
the morning of the race happened.
rain.

we set up for the kids to hang out 
(a friend was coming to hang with them)
and got ready for the race.

a wet morning.
but everyone was excited, and spirits were high.
the 56km race headed out.
dan hung back and didn't rush.

the 28km race headed out.
our friend showed up so i could get ready for my run.

my turn!
off we went.
last year i was determined to be at the front at the beginning so i didn't get caught behind the crowd entering the trail or crossing the first bridge.
but, i forgot that this year - mainly because i wasn't ready for the race.

i love running trails.
i spent a lot of time running with people who had never run it before.
i chatted with many of them.
we ran similar pace for a bit.

i really enjoy the many people on the trail.
so many encouraging people, and i love also encouraging those i pass or who pass me.

i am so thankful for everyone who run the aid stations.

the trail was pretty much one big trail of mud!
hills to slide on, puddles to go through.
mud, mud and more mud!
I think I wore the right shirt for the day

it was beautiful.
and exhausting.

i was running and chatting with a couple in the last 2km.
i felt done.
i hurt.
i was walking a little more often than i wanted to.

when suddenly someone jumped on me.
i now had less than a kilometre and someone jumps on me.
it was Dan!
he was finishing his second lap.
i was going slower than last year.
and he was faster than originally planning to run.

we ran together for the end.
i told him to go on, 
but he wanted to cross my finish line with me.
i was about to walk the last little hill when he took my hand and we ran out of the woods together.

i finished my race with my husband!  
it made me so happy.

I didn't make the top 10 of my age group.
but i am happy with my time, and results.
Results 14km (look up my bib #329)

and off he went to lap 3 of 4.

i will train better next year.
i think.

when dan was on his 4th and final lap we went to see him at the one mud hole.
which was even bigger now.

we saw the first place guy pass.
pretty sure it was him.
but the second place guy didn't pass us.
(we were pretty sure he hadn't already gone by)

and then Dan came.
we were pretty sure he was in second.
he was hurting but doing well.
we headed back to the finish to see him.

He came in 2nd overall.
1st in his age.
he had a great run.

Results 56km (bib #766)

so that's what taking it easy looks like.
haha.

i absolutely love that race.
i am already looking forward to it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment