Monday, September 16, 2013

Terry Fox Run #4

This year marked the fourth year i have been running the Terry Fox Run for Cancer research.

if you were there at the beginning of this blog then you'll remember one of my first posts about running.

"My goal used to be the 10km Terry Fox Run in September.  Now my goal is to do the 5km portion of the Terry Fox run this September.  which when I have never been a runner is a pretty good goal I think...
...i have no plans to ever do a marathon but I do want to, next year, do the 10km Terry Fox Run"

over the years i've carried you on a journey of my running.
not intentionally.
it has just happened.
you've been there when i began.
when i started up again.
and when i ran each of my 5K Terry Fox Runs.


This year i have trained more.
my dad was going to either walk the 5 or 10K with the girl.
*he did the 5K*
Dan was going to bike the 10K with the boy
and i was going to run the 10K!

a couple nights before the run i was talking with my husband and he mentioned that within the year, since the 2012 run, 
our list we were running for had grown by 5 people.
and one of them has recently passed away.
wow.
i hadn't realized that.  
sure i knew people with cancer but hadn't realized some of them had just been within the past year.
or at least we just found out within the past year.

at the run we were all ready.
i was nervous to run 10K but dan reminded me that i ran that easily now.
still..
nervous.

off went the bikes.

runners.
3.
2.
1.
go!

off i went.
pacing myself.

i was looking for faces i recognized.
saw a few.
i told some kids they were doing great, as they ran or biked.
smiles were shared with many other runners.
past the 5K turn around.
i was now running the 10K.

i had some time to think.
about some of the most recent cases of cancer that we knew about.

i thought about Rachel.
beautiful lady.
new wife.
huge heart and love for life.
looking gorgeous with her head scarves.

I thought about Jim.
went to the hospital because he was bruising easily, and was completely worn out.
he fought it.
went into remission, and planned to marry the love of his life.
remission ended.
the wedding was a bitter-sweet day as they said their vows and everyone could see how tired he was.
shortly after he lost his battle.

i thought about Paul.
husband, father, grandfather.
second time around.
not so promising as he begins chemo and radiation.

Aunt Peg.
wonderful lady.
enduring chemo and radiation.

my sight got blurry, 
the tears were welling up.
choked up.
emotional.
i cleared my throat and wiped my eyes as i neared the end.
dan and the kids met me and finished the run with me.

i had run the 10K.

and i ran it, not for myself, but for those i told you about.
and all the other ones i mentioned in previous posts.

Thank you for your support.
One day we won't have to run anymore!



No comments:

Post a Comment