Monday, April 1, 2013

slacking

so.
i've been slacking in my Tough Mudder training.
not in my running..
but everything else.

i got sick.
dan got sick.
i made excuses.
i ran when i was sick, but nothing else.

i'm building up my running distance.
i have been running since the beginning of January.
i don't like running - i've told you that before.

the other day 
(ok, in reality it was a couple weeks ago)
when we did our usual "what was your favorite part of the day?" question i shocked my husband.
"my run." 
he never thought he'd hear that from my mouth.
but i honestly did enjoy my run.
i had done my best time for 4 km.

over the winter i ran outside.
i did the indoor track once
i hated it.
i enjoy running outside.

one of the many winter runs was cold. 
snowy. 
windy.
while i was running i was tired.
cold.
my face was getting wind burned.

maybe it was the snow blowing around me.
maybe i just hated running.
but i came to the conclusion that...
wait for it...
...
...
I was ROCKY!
that's right.
I was in the middle of Russia.
training to do the impossible.
beat Ivan Drago.

i wish i had the training determination Rocky had.
(but i guess Tough Mudder (my Ivan Drago) didn't kill my best friend and mentor.)

*i did carry a small tree out of the bush on the weekend. * 

i need the music.

i ran this morning (and what a beautiful winter day it was...oh..it's spring)
and ran my best time.
33:14 for 5km.  
(remember, i'm also planning to run a 10km race in June)

so.. 
i need to get my Rocky butt in gear.
i need to get my hands on the makeshift monkey bars dan put up for me 
(a ladder on the basement ceiling)
..i need to get climbing.
get running up our back hill...carrying a kid or a log.  
i need to be doing everything i can.  

Tough Mudder I have one last thing to say to you:
i must break you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love that point where you can enjoy your run - where your body is tough enough to do a basic distance that you can enjoy it and push it to do more. I miss that!!!
    Ah, I wish I were doing the Tough Mudder with you this year. After you've done it this year, I'll ask and see if you're up for another go next year with me. :)
    Break the Tough Mudder!

    ReplyDelete