Thursday, March 7, 2013

registered: it's happening.

I'm registered.
all signed up for Tough Mudder in September.
why?

i asked myself that the other day, as i was going for a run. 
i was tired, cold, sore.
and my plan is to run farther and farther.
work on my endurance.
as one step of training.

people watch the videos of it..
look at pictures of events.
and the question i see in their eyes is WHY?
when i first heard about it it sounded so cool.
challenging but as a team event something that really interested me.
scared the crap out of me.
excited me.

i watched videos.
told dan about it.


then one day dan asked if we were still going to do it.
i felt like my voice quaked as i said "yeah, i'd like to do it."
he was all for it.
that in itself excited me.

we have a team forming.
my friend - who first asked me to do it - knows most of the people.

so.  

why?

1. it excites me
i watch the videos and look at the pictures and i get excited thinking about being able to actually do it.  
to actually get out there and try it.  

2. it scares me.  
i watch the videos and look at the pictures and i get completely freaked out, sometimes a little nauseous, about being a part of it.
*i know, to most people, that's not a reason...but it is to me*

3. it is an encouragement and reason to get in shape.
 to get this body fit.  
i had better be working on it - i am signed up.  
i am doing it.

4.  to encourage and be encouraged.
  Dan is my encouragement.  
he is excited about it.
  he gets me excited.
  i want to be a part of our team and be the encourager and in turn know i will also receive the encouragement from them as i struggle or am afraid.  
be a part of a team.

5.  to be challenged.  
i always shy away when something is a challenge.  
but the times i step out and push through the challenge i feel a confidence. 
an adrenaline rush.  
proud of myself.  
i don't do it as much as i would like to.  
so i'm doing it.

6.  to be a part of a pretty crazy event.  
i can say I'm a tough mudder.  
whether or not i complete all the obstacles 
(i'm realistic - i've got a lot of work to do to be 100% able to do some of the obstacles)
..i still did it.

7.  to rely on God.  
when i face a challenge, something i struggle with - fear, exhaustion, pain.. i turn to God.  
when i'm on a rock face, struggling to get up it.. i lean against the rock and cry out to God for help.  help me conquer my fear. 
 help me stop crying.  
help me calm enough to finish this challenge.  
help me, i'm freaking out.  

8.  to do this with friends.  

9.  to, hopefully, be 'Jesus' to my team.  
to be love, patience, encouragement.  
a shoulder, hand, arm, back.  a smile.  
a "c'mon, get off your butt, let's go' when needed.  
and not just my team.. to the others on the course with us. 
to assist when others are struggling.  
to be real.

10.  why not?

ten reasons.  
what?
the God stuff and Jesus stuff weren't the primary reason?  
no it wasn't my first reasons.  
it wasn't as until i really thought about what i wanted to accomplish that they appeared..  
they are for sure my reasons.  and solid reasons.
i'm doing this event and i'm going to give it my all, because i should be doing everything i do for God and i plan on doing my best for Him.  whether or not it's preaching the gospel or running an insane obstacle course.

so when you watch the videos and look at the pictures, you now know WHY.
me, a hater of running, unless it's in a game.
me, a mother of 2.
me, afraid of heights.
me, who would rather watch and live vicariously through someone else.
those are 4 other reasons.


2 comments:

  1. Woot woot! You're doing it! You will do amazing, I know it. If you do it again next year, count me in! I really wanted to do it this year, but with all the transition and change I didn't know if or how I'd be able to train adequately for it.
    Go Michelle & team! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Vanessa.
      for sure if i do it next year we should do it together. i am already hoping i'll do it next year :)

      Delete