Thursday, November 12, 2015

be still my heart

The kids were home from Streetwise
(our church's mid-week kids' program)
 around 8:15pm.
we were in their beds, looking at their Pokemon cards and then praying with them around 8:40pm.
i was with our boy last night.
i asked him to turn out his light at 8:55pm.
usually he is good with doing that...
usually.

but if he's reading a good book
(Lego characters encyclopedia, Geronimo Stilton, Calvin & Hobbes, Minecraft...)
he forgets to check the time.

i forgot to go in when i noticed the time.

i thought they had been asleep for about an hour when i heard an excited little voice.
did i really just hear a kid?

'Mommy, mommy, i want to tell you something."
i opened his door and looked at the clock.
9:55pm.
one hour after his light was to be out.

i asked him what he wanted to tell me.

"mommy, i found the verse.
the one we did tonight.
it isn't the exact same words, but i found it."

i realized he had been reading his Bible.

i don't know for how long, but that didn't matter.
it was an hour past lights out, but that didn't matter to me right then.
he was reading his Bible and wanted to read me the verse he found.

"ok, mommy, 
Its in Psalms.
All you who wait for the Lord, be strong and let your heart take courage.
it's a little different than the one we did tonight...
i need to underline it."

"do you have a pen?"
keep in mind he's in his loft bed, so i can't see his little face.

"just a pencil..."

"want me to got you a pen or pencil crayon?"

"Ya..no, the pages are really skinny they'll rip.. i'll just use my pencil."

then after he underlined that he proceeded to find Psalm 56:3
His and his sister's favourite verse.

he was so excited.

I reminded him to find the verse then turn out his light and go to sleep.

I saw him peek over at his clock.

"Oh...it's almost 10.  that's late.  I didn't know."


listening to my boy get excited about finding the verse, 
reading it, 
underlining it so he'd remember it...
those are moments worth his late night.




*photo taken by me, 
with Gertie, 
no editing.


No comments:

Post a Comment