Tuesday, June 11, 2013

huntsville half


the first goal i had for the year was to run 10K in our town's race.
this past weekend was the race.
I ran 10K.
the hills were brutal.
i thought i was going to vomit on one uphill.
i didn't.
i also didn't stop at all.. 
i ran my first 10K.

 10K results: Here.
i came in 169th out of 213.
34th out of 44 in my age category.
i ran it in 1:06:43

i am pretty proud of myself.
i felt good..
the next day i was a little sore.

next thing isn't planned until the Terry Fox Run in Sept.

who am i more proud of then myself?

my friend and my husband.

my friend Theresa.
8 weeks ago she decided to sign up for the 5K race.
and began training.
we ran/walked the course a couple weeks ago to check it out.
there were some hills... we live in muskoka there can't be a run without hills.

that morning i wasn't able to see her race start, the 10K runners were already off and running.
i did pray for her while i was running.
that she would have the strength to run the whole thing.
that was her goal.

when i finished she was already back.
she had done it!
she had run the whole way.
i was so proud of her.  
she's one of my fellow Tough Mudders in Training.
she encourages me.

My husband Dan.
he decided he wanted to do the half marathon.
he made my training schedule, and his own.
he was also out running in the middle of winter.
his runs got longer as the time went on.

i got to see him start his race.
my dad and kids were also there.
during my run i was heading up a hill and i thought about dan, 
he was running double what i was and had to do the same hills.  
i prayed for him.
for the strength.
i was so proud of him already.

he had encouraged me.
i hope i was as big an encouragement to him.
when i finished i talked with Dan's parents at the finish line
then went to find the kids so we could be at the finish line when daddy came.
i was over at the park when i heard his name called.
i missed his finish.
i wasn't there when he crossed that line.
my emotions were mixed.
so excited he was done faster than he expected.
but i hadn't been there to cheer for him.
*his parents were there though.*

he did so well.
he came in 6th overall.
and 3rd in his age category.
his hope was for a top 10 finish.
i listened to other half marathoners congratulate him on his run.  
i was so proud of my husband.

the run was saturday.
it's tuesday now.
and his birthday.
happy birthday to my inspiring husband.
love you.


*photo taken by Danae.  someone who inspires us to stay fit, stay active.  
Danae we love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment