Thursday, July 5, 2012

singing to my kids


When the boy was a baby i used to spend a lot of time rocking him.  
whether to calm him or to feed him

i would hum or sing songs i knew from tv. 
(Gilligan's Island theme, Brady Bunch Theme)
i would hum or sing songs i knew from childhood 
(this little light of mine, happy birthday baby jesus, this old man)
i would hum or sing songs i knew from camp or church 
(there is a redeemer, the coconut song)

but the main song i would go to was one Dan had told me calmed him as he tried to calm our new baby.
it was a song i sang to calm myself as well as my son 
(and then my daughter).  

now that my kids are 3 & 4 i will go to them at night when they're crying, or struggling to fall asleep.
i love it when i hear my little girl say to me with tears in her eyes, and pulling me to lay down with her, "mommy can you sing 'mazing grace"  
definitely little one.  

may the words sink deep into their souls and hearts.  
may this song be one of power to them, 
as well as calming... 
and most of all truth to them.



Amazing grace how sweet the sound 
that saved a wretch like me 
i once was lost but now i'm found 
was blind but now i see 

 twas grace that taught my heart to fear
and grace my fears relieved
 how precious did that grace appear
 the hour i first believed
 through many dangers, toils and snares
i have already come 
tis grace that brought me safe thus far
and grace will lead me home
when we've been there ten thousand years
bright shining as the sun

we've no less days to sing God's praise

than when we've first begun.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you know the whole song by heart!! I don't do too well with that :) I called Dakota to come over & hear it...beautiful! God Bless you Daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if it's preggo hormones, but I definitely teared up reading this. That's a song I've sung to my boys as well. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't think it's hormones. maybe :) i think if it's a song you sing it obviously has special meaning to you. i love that our kids will grow up with this hymn in their hearts - whether they realize it or not.

      Delete