Tuesday, June 30, 2015

21k

i ran my first ever half marathon on June 13th.
i did even better than i thought i would.
2:28:52
i just wanted to do it under 2:30.  
i did it.
i had so much fun running it.
seriously.

oh, i began to hurt near the end.
i wished i was already done when i still had a few k left.
but then i had a couple friends call to me from across the street and cheer for me...
and i suddenly had the energy to finish strong.
to speed up that little bit.

i love that about encouragement.
i felt like i was at my end, and those cheers, those words "Go Michelle!"
the boost i was in need of.

i was nearing the turn around (about 3-4k from it maybe)
when i began to see the forerunners.
i couldn't help but smile when i saw them heading toward me.
i smiled, cheered some of them and even clapped for some of them.
it was so exciting for me to see them.
they were an encouragement to me.

last year most people at the race were random faces in the crowd.
then my husband joined the running club here in town.
this spring i began to go to the fun runs they held.
i got to know them all a little.

on my first ever half marathon i knew the faces of some of the other runners.
i could cheer for them by name.

one of them even encouraged me by name which made me laugh.
(he spoke before i could)
i couldn't help but smile at everyone.

i truly had a fun run.

crossing the finish line and hearing people cheer for me was a wonderful feeling.

i had done it.
i had raced my first ever half marathon.
and didn't feel like i was going to die.
i just need to sit down and get some food.  
but, i wasn't going to die.


my girl ran her first ever 1K
my boy ran his second ever 5K 
(the first one was earlier in the week)
he ran it with my husband.

i usually want to be at the end cheering each of them on when they cross the finish,
but this year i loved hearing them cheer and receive their hugs as they were proud of me.

i have worked hard.
i did it.

however...
the half marathon was still only a stepping stone in my training for my 40k on my 40th.

next step:
14K trail race

*photo taken by me 
with Gertie
not edited.


No comments:

Post a Comment